What is CuriosityStream?
CuriosityStream is a video-on-demand streaming service. It exclusively delivers nonfiction documentaries and series about science, nature, history, technology, society and lifestyle. It requires no installation, there are no extra fees, and you can cancel anytime. This streaming service was launched in 2015 by the Founder of the Discovery Channel and CuriosityStream offers its users over 3,000 original and licensed titles. Enjoy wonderful non-fictional programming from David Attenborough, Stephen Hawking, Michio Kaku, and others.
CuriosityStream’s content library covers 6 main areas: science, nature, history, technology, society and lifestyle, including originals and exclusive shows Much of the content on CuriosityStream is original, researched, produced and supported by big-names like Glenn Close, Don Henley and Vint Cerf. The service has received mixed reviews and beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder here. We definitely believe its worth a test drive considering its incredibly inexpensive price.
CuriosityStream Packages and Pricing
Subscribers can choose from up to four different plans: HD monthly, HD annual, 4K monthly, and 4K annual. Try this service for free with the 7-day free trial. At the time this article was published, subscribers can get up to 40% an annual subscription.
What is on CuriosityStream?
CuriosityStream content is centered around non-fiction documentaries. You can access thousands of documentaries anywhere, anytime. This service has award-winning, exclusives and original programming, as well as, acquired content. If you enjoy documentaries, docuseries, or any non-fiction content then you will need to check out this service.
Here is a list of the subject matter on CuriosityStream:
Science – Biology, Earth, Genetics, Medicine, Mind, Nature, Physics, Space
Technology – Artificial Intelligence, Communications, Energy, Engineering, Nanotechnology, Privacy & Security, Social Web, Transportation
Civilization – Business, Conflict, Democracy, Economics, Entrepreneurship, History, Politics, Society
Human Spirit – Art, Character & Values, Creativity, Dramatic & Performing Arts, Health & Wellness, Literature, Music, Philosophy
CuriosityStream has produced a number of original documentaries and series, such as:
- Miniverse, featuring Chris Hadfield, Michio Kaku, Derrick Pitts, Laura Danly
- Stephen Hawking’s Favorite Places (2017 Emmy Award Winner), featuring Stephen Hawking
- David Attenborough’s Light On Earth, featuring David Attenborough
- Deep Time History, featuring Jonathan Markley
- Prescription: Nutrition, featuring Michael Greger
- Destination: Pluto, featuring Alan Stern
- Destination Mars, featuring Peter Diamandis
- The Road To The Singularity, featuring Jason Silva
- Transhumanism, featuring Jason Silva
- Digits, featuring Derek Muller, Edward Snowden, Vint Cerf
- The History Of Food, featuring Robert Dunn, JJ Johnson, Michael Greger, Sandor Katz
- The Woodstock Bus, featuring Robert Richard Hieronimus
- History (stylised as Hi$tory) featuring Peter Sagal
- Ancient Earth
- Life on Earth: A New Prehistory
- Genius by Stephen Hawking with Stephen Hawking
- Next World with Michio Kaku
- The Secrets of Quantum Physics with Jim Al-Khalili
- Wild Weather with Richard Hammond
- The Nano Revolution
- Destination Mars featuring Peter Diamandis
- Cosmic Front
- The Human Face Of Big Data
U.S. subscribers have access to BBC productions available such as:
- The Secret Life of Dogs
- Ancient Worlds Richard Miles, Simon Russell Beale, Julie Berry & Cécile Michel
- Greek Myths: True Stories Robin Lane Fox
- Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire (a 6-part docudrama miniseries starring Michael Sheen)
- Sex, Death and the Meaning of Life with Richard Dawkins
- When Björk Met Attenborough with David Attenborough
- Crusades as well as Vikings and World of Stonehenge, both hosted by Neil Oliver.
- The Hawking Paradox with Stephen Hawking
Streaming Devices Compatible With CuriosityStream
CuriosityStream is supported by a wide array of streaming devices leaving subscribers with many options. Virtually every streaming device and method is available to cord-cutters. Users have the flexibility to watch this streaming content in a variety of different ways such as at home on your television or on your phone while you’re on the go.
Here is a list of compatible devices:
Smart TV devices
- Android TV
- Apple TV 3rd generation and earlier via Air Play
- Apple TV 4th generation HD and 4K Apple TV
- Amazon Fire TV version 5.0 and up
- Roku TV
- Android device 4.1 and up
- Apple iPhones, iPods, and iPads iOS 11 and up
- Any laptop, desktop, PC or Mac
- Amazon Kindle 2012 or later
- Amazon Fire TV Stick
- Roku 2 to 4 and Roku Streaming Stick version 8.1 and up
- Xbox One
For a niche streaming service, CuriosityStream offers some great features. Here is a list of the best features available:
- Limited 4K programming at an increased price.
- Unlimited simultaneous streams
- No DVR
- Up to 10 hours of off-line viewing
- Kids mode